Wedding traditions, there are quite a few of them…but have you ever wondered WHY we do them? We thought it would be fun to do some digging and figure out why we do the things we do on that special day. And if you’re like us, you will be quite surprised to find out the reasoning behind those “cute” traditions…
1) Flowers: Why does the bride and the bridemaies hold a bouget of flowers while walking down the aisle?
Answer: It used to be herbs and flowers. Because of the plaque people would hold herbs over there nose in an effort to survive…..others believe this came from the bride trying to smell pretty on her day…we like to focus on the ladder.
2) Bridesmaid dresses: Why do bridesmaids wear matching dresses?
Answer: The bride and bridesmaids all wore similar dresses. This was to confuse evil spirits so they would not know who the bride was. Talk about true friends!
3) Wedding cake: Why do couples cut the wedding cake together?
Answer: The groom would eat part of bread and break the rest over his bride’s head. History tells us that breaking the bread symbolized the breaking of the bride’s virginal state and the subsequent dominance of the groom over her.
4) Throwing rice: Why do we throw rice at the couple as they walk away?
Answer: This was to symbolize prosperity and showering the couple with it.
5) Giving the Bride Away: Why does the father of the bride walk her down the aisle and “give her away”?
Answer: A long time ago, a daughter was considered the fathers property. Quite often a father would literally give the bride away in exchange for something such as a cow. We’re glad to see that tradition has evolved.
Well, there is our Wedding History Lesson. We hope you have found it as interesting as we did! Although traditions are fun and memorable, I’m happy to see the reasonings have changed a bit 🙂
Sacramento Wedding Planner